February 8, 2018
Elopements are not what they used to be. They no longer only refer to a couple running off and secretly marrying in a courthouse or saying “I do” last minute in Vegas. Elopements have become an intimate way to celebrate your union in a location that inspires you without all of the stress of planning a traditional wedding. They’re for the easy-going, wander-lusting couple that values moments over the traditional wedding day fluff. Everyone envisions their wedding day a little differently but if this blog speaks to you, an epic elopement might be the perfect fit for your special day. Here are 5 reasons why eloping rocks!
1. The experience: Too often, weddings become about pleasing family, acknowledging tradition and making sure everyone is happy regardless of how the bride and groom envision their special day. While involving family is important, wedding days can easily get lost to all of the “fluff” and it’s so easy to put the needs/wants of others before the needs and wants of yourself. In reality, a wedding day should be about celebrating your love and setting the stage for a strong marriage. Your wedding day should feel easy going, stress-free and everything you dream it to be. Traditional weddings can be amazing and beautiful but they’re not for everyone and if you find yourself overwhelmed and trying to manage your stress level, an elopement may be the perfect alternative for you. There are many other ways to involve family and celebrate your union without compromising your wedding day.
2. Cost: I’m sure it’s no surprise to you that weddings are expensive and a luxury that isn’t always feasible to bring a vision to life. According to The Knot, the national average for a wedding in the US is $35,329 not including the honeymoon. A huge portion of that is spent on your guests, the location, extravagant decor rather than focusing on the things that will strengthen your union and leave you with amazing memories to look back on for years to come.
3. Details: Traditional weddings can be overwhelming between choosing the perfect menu, table decor, favors and attire. Elopements and intimate weddings allow you to focus on exactly what’s important to you. You can keep it simple with just wedding attire or add flowers, some champagne or a small picnic. You could rent a yacht, hike to an exclusive destination, explore the cliffs in Ireland, ride a gondola to a dreamy spot…the options are limitless! Many couples put a great amount of thought into their day and those details should always be true to you.
4. Location: Let’s be real – wedding venues are typically in areas that are easy to access – to make it possible for your friends and family to attend. Having an intimate wedding or elopement gives you the flexibility to choose locations a little more “off-grid” to begin your marriage story in an environment that completely inspires you and leaves you with epic photos. If you’re an outdoors enthusiast, why not keep true to that? It’s pretty common to find officiants and other vendors that are happy to travel to the location of your dream.
5. Intimacy: There is nothing more intimate than putting your relationship first, than saying your vows to each other distraction-free, than experiencing raw emotion with your significant other that will be felt for years to come when looking through your wedding album. Start your marriage off with a strong bond creating memories that will last you a lifetime.
Hair + Makeup: Alisha Munz Makeup Artistry
Gown | Calla Bridal
Florals | Columbia City Bouquet
Ribbon | Honey Silks & Co.
Interested in having me document your Olympic National Park Elopement or Intimate Wedding? Email me today for information and to reserve your date!
Megan Montalvo is a Wedding and Elopement Photographer based out of the Olympia and Tacoma Washington. She offers Olympia Tacoma Wedding photography to surrounding PNW destinations such as Mt. Rainier, Lake Quinault, Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie Pass, Cle Elum, Suncadia, Leavenworth, Ruby Beach, Cape Kiwanda, Canon Beach and the San Juan Islands.
Welcome to the blog! I’m a small-town Florida girl and Army wife relocated to the Seattle Suburbs, documenting love from one coast to the other. I live for a good PNW mountain breeze, sweat pants, and local eats. Let's be friends!