Welcome to the blog! I’m a small-town Florida girl and Army wife relocated to the Seattle Suburbs, documenting love from one coast to the other. I live for a good PNW mountain breeze, sweat pants, and local eats. Let's be friends!
We all love dreamy photos in the snow. They are magical and leave us all completely in wanderlust. While being a huge fan of the snow, there are a few extra considerations that you may not come across with other photoshoots. Here are 5 snowy session tips to help you decide if a photoshoot in the snow is for you!
1. Getting there – When driving out to the mountains or any snowy area – knowing your car’s capabilities is important. While main highways are typically easy to travel on, taking exits or off-roading can be a little more challenging in the snow. I highly recommend taking a vehicle with all-wheel or 4 wheel drive. If you don’t have access to one – let your photographer know your limitations in advance. Certain areas require snow-chains and if you’re planning on heading to Mount Rainier, they require you to carry tire chains in your car November – May.
2. Staying Warm – Dressing for the snow is super important. While you may want to achieve a certain look with your shoot, there are ways to make it a little more comfortable while still accomplishing your vision. For example, if you’re wanting a dressy look and want to wear a flowy dress even in the snow, opt for a long sleeve dress and add some wear tights underneath or a fir. For more casual looks, layers not only keep you warm but they look amazing in photos. Bring along some hand warmers, extra jackets or even blankets to warm up with.
3. Trekking around – If your photos aren’t being taken right off the road, wear good shoes to walk in or bring them along to change into. Spikes or yak tracks really help mobility and if you plan on hiking a bit, it may be a good idea to bring snowshoes along. Your photographer will know which option may be best fit for the location.
4. Locations – Make sure to let us know what you’re looking for! Are you just looking for a winter wonderland? Do you want some mountain views or perhaps a lake? Make sure you share your ideas and be realistic with your expectations. If it’s snowing hard or really foggy out, mountain views may not be possible.
5. Hair and Makeup – Bring along some things to touch up with. The snow can wear down on hair and makeup and touch-ups may be recommended. We recommend bringing a hat to wear to wear mid-shoot as a nice way to mix up your look all while taming the mane. 😉 If it’s snowing during the day of your session, bring along an umbrella to help keep dry in between photos or changing locations.
Bonus – Just remember to have fun! 😉
Interested in having me photograph your snowy mountain session? Email me today for information and to reserve your date!
Megan Montalvo is a Wedding and Elopement Photographer based out of the Olympia and Tacoma Washington. She offers Olympia Tacoma Wedding photography to surrounding PNW destinations such as Mt. Rainier, Lake Quinault, Snoqualmie, Snoqualmie Pass, Cle Elum, Suncadia, Leavenworth, Ruby Beach, Cape Kiwanda, Canon Beach and the San Juan Islands.